Sewell Mill exists to elevate and unify the West Georgia region by focusing efforts on three major cornerstones:
- Preserving the rich history of West Georgia,
- Offering interactive educational opportunities for children, and
- Providing a community-centric venue for events allowing people to come together for a common purpose.
Sewell Mill has gathered together a group of talented individuals, each with expertise in a critical area for success. The board is poised and ready to bring about exciting opportunities for Haralson County.
The long-term plan for Sewell Mill is to operate the four lines of business (Redding Business Suites,a Kid’s Museum Project, Ballroom as a community resource, and a Historical Exhibit) concurrently. It is the vision of the board however, to frequently evaluate the performance of each using the criterion, “What does this activity/program contribute to the charter of Sewell Mill?”
The History of Sewell Mill
The Cotton Mill: The building located at 126 Hamilton Avenue was built in 1912. Along with the city’s bank, the Sewell building stands as one of the earliest structures remaining today. Its original purpose was that of a cotton warehouse. Cotton producers from around Haralson County brought their cotton bales to the north side of the building, where they were unloaded. The bales were then cleaned, packaged and placed on rolling bins. The wooden floors were purposely built on a slight decline southward toward the end of the building. This was done to help facilitate easier rolling of the heavy cotton bins southward toward the opposite end of the building, where the cotton was then loaded onto the main method of industrial transportation of those times-the U.S. Southern and Central Pacific Railroads.
Military Suit Manufacturing: The building was purchased by the Sewell brothers, Warren and Robert Sewell in 1918 to serve as the South’s first successful manufacturing facility of men’s suits and sport coats. For a brief period during World War I, the plant was used to produce garments for the United States Military. After the war, the factory returned to making civilian clothing and from the Sewell brother’s success, numerous other manufacturing factories began. Hubbard Slacks, the Ray Sewell Company, the Worley Sewell Company, Higgins Clothing, the Arrow Shirt Company, Lamar Manufacturing, Turner Manufacturing and Bremen-Bowdon Investment Company became prominent producers of tailored men’s and ladies apparel and established Bremen’s reputation as “The Clothing Center of the South”.
The Corporate Office: From 1918 until 1992, this building served as the corporate office of The Sewell Company. Since 1918, the Sewell Companies have taken pride in helping men look their best by being one of the premier suit manufacturers in the United States. The Sewell Companies continue to maintain their commitment to creating, sourcing and manufacturing suits. The company is still thriving and continues to operate their corporate operations from Bremen, GA in one of the companies other historical buildings. www.thesewellcompanies.com
The Warren and Ava Sewell Foundation
From the success of the clothing industry, several eleemosynary foundations were established, including the Warren and Ava Sewell Foundation established in 1948. To date, the Sewell Foundation has donated over 12 million dollars to churches, schools, and municipalities for the benefit of the local community.
A “BIG” change in 2009:
In 2009, this building was transformed into a multi-purpose community and professional center for the city of Bremen and residents of Haralson County. The facility has been used for social gatherings, business meetings, community functions, artist exhibits, marketplace, and a place to capture and depict the historical significance of the area.
When first opened, the Sewell Mill operated as a subsidiary organization of the Bremen Museum Program and was intended to be part of a multi-layered approach to revitalizing Bremen. This revitalization was a collaborative effort involving the cooperation of the Bremen Downtown Development Authority, the Bremen Museum Board, the City of Bremen, the Haralson County Chamber of Commerce, as well as dedicated and supportive citizens of the community.
In 2010, a group of individuals recognized the potential of Sewell Mill and envisioned a grand future where programs benefitting the community would be offered. Part of this group’s vision was for Sewell Mill to become a non-profit corporation so that programs could be funded not only by like-minded citizens but by contributing organizations. The application for non-profit status was filed with the Internal Revenue Service and this status was granted in February 2011.
Sewell Mill was incorporated under the laws of the State of Georgia as a domestic non-profit corporation on February 4, 2011. Sewell Mill is subject to the regulations of the Internal Revenue Code, section 501(c) (3).